Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 2003 03:09:16 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de
Subject:   Re: 5.2-BETA issues

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 12:56:02PM +1100, Rob B wrote:
> At 12:11 PM 7/12/2003, Bernd Walter sent this up the stick:
> >On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 11:54:10AM +1100, Rob B wrote:
> >> Will there be floppies built for 5.2-BETA (or 5.2-RELEASE for that
> >matter)?
> >
> >There will be no more floppies because of size issues.
>
> bugger :(    I don't suppose that FreeBSD will ever suport dd-ing whatever
> file will be used to boot from to swap space in the same way that Open- and
> NetBSD do?  At least this way there won't be so much of a size restriction
> on that file.

You can dd an ISO image to any disk type media on alpha.
Unlike PCs they don't make a difference between CD, HDD, FDD, ...
drives.
But alphas don't support booting from a partition like suns do.
If NetBSD/OpenBSD supports it then they need to have selection
code in the bootsector.

ticso@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de