Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 08:33:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andrew Sherrod <ixkatl@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: easyboot far into disk

There IS a patch for the disk geometry problem. (Thus
I have been repeatedly told it is NOT a REAL problem.)

See bug reports i386/9431 and i386/10862.
Both include my suggested patch to make wd.c recognize
the correct geometry at installation. (Rather than
requiring the DOS partition work-around or requiring
the user to manually configure the disks after
start-up.)

(Oh, please ignore the one mistake blaming the problem
on BIOS rather than disk controller. Otherwise, I
stand behind everything written in the bug reports.)

Andrew Sherrod

--- Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com> wrote:
> Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Nice, if the boot process can work with the CHS
> driver. The problem
> > > is that is not always the case. E.g. mine. So
> you can't *get* up and
> > > running.
> >
> > Ok.  Would you care to share some details of your
> problems, rather than
> > just the bile and vitriol?
>
> It has been over on -questions. B.t.w. I fail to see
> bile and/or vitriol
> in stating that a problem occurres. You should've
> seen the first draft,
> written after a week of diligently trying, studying
> manpages, discussing
> over on -questions, reading relevant pages in Greg's
> book, etc.
>
> > > SOL. You can copy the boot0cfg onto the fixit,
> but what about the
> >
> > Build it static.
>
> We were, and are, talking newbies here.
>
> > "We" being whom, here?  Most of us can just fine.
> If your BIOS won't
> > translate "right" past the 1024 cylinder mark then
> you're in the
> > minority these days.  But even then, you can build
> a new boot1/boot2
> > with packet-mode as default enabled and install
> them on the floppy. The
> > loader doesn't do packet mode yet simply because I
> haven't found a case
> > where it's been needed.
>
> Some others over on -questions. Would I have had a
> case for you! In
> case you're interested it's a Plato MB with a
> Quantum EL 5.1A. Again,
> I'm pretty much sure all this can be build and
> installed. What I dare
> to dispute, however, is the easy accessibility of
> friendly instructions
> outlining the process. For newbies.
>
> > That wouldn't have been nice; we tested it (I've
> mentioned this
> > publically before), and it kills quite a number of
> machines dead.  You
> > wouldn't have been able to boot them at all.  That
> would have been bad.
>
> There you go, I mentioned the details publically
> before. You seem to
> have missed those, I seem to have missed your
> mention. But I agree that
> a larger number of machines dead is worse.
>
> > > - boot had the -o packet option
> >
> > I don't follow what you're suggesting here.
>
> Simple. boot0cfg clearly does something to
> something. boot can be
> interupted. Why not put the code that does something
> to something into
> boot so that on ancient machines that need it it can
> be had without
> going through the hoopla's needed to get it
> currently. From a newbie's
> perspective pressing space and entering "boot -o
> packet" is way more
> prerable than building a statically linked boot0cfg,
> injecting that -
> usually by magic incantation - into some diskette,
> executing said
> executable together with new cabalistic handweaving
> [...]

=====
'During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.' - Al Gore, March 9, 1999: On CNN's Late Edition