Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 08:17:42 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Permissions Question

Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au> types:
> Just a quick question.....
>
> If I want to enable a user to have full file permission over another users
> files & directories, what would I have to do ?

Depends on how you want them to interact. If you don't care about the
first user being able to edit things, just change the ownership from
one to the other.

If you want them both to be able to modify, delete, etc. files, you'll
need to create a group for them, put them both in that group, then set
the group ownership of the tree to that group (chgrp -R tree) and
enable group permissions on it (chmod -R g=u tree).

You'll also have to set things up so that the ftp server creates
things with the group write bit set. How you do that will depend on
your ftp server. Ideally, setting umask to 002 via login.conf will do
the trick, but I haven't tried it.

	<mike