Date:      Thu, 29 May 2003 00:14:34 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
Cc:        Ivailo Tanusheff <i.tanusheff@procreditbank.com>
Subject:   Re: Cascading qmail servers

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 08:00 am, Barney Wolff wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 07:45:10AM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> > > Don't assume that you can't create an alias for each user.  When I
> > > worked at a very large NY bank, with well over 100,000 employees,
> > > /etc/mail/aliases was that big, and sendmail worked just fine.
> >
> > In sendmail, you can do domain routing with mailertable.  I think you
> > can do the same in Postfix with relay_domains.
>
> The question I thought I was answering was how to make the address
>   <Barney.Wolff@motherofallbanks.com>
> route to my actual account,
> <Barney.Wolff@dept9876.motherofallbanks.com>.
>
> If external correspondents use the sub-domains the problem is easier,
> but employees in large orgs move around so often it's impractical.

It's also impractical to deliver copies of every message to each of the
various offices, leaving thousands and thousands of unread messages for
the employees that don't work in each office.

This is where directory technologies like LDAP come into play, when you
have large user bases.  I think this has strayed pretty far from the
question that was asked, though, which seemed to me to be a 'mail
gateway' attached to the internet at the company HQ that would route to
~3 internal mail servers, delivering the correct accounts to each one.
Wasn't that the original question?

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com