Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:18:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gary <medmanks@mindspring.com>, Peter <peterk@americanisp.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to Resume a Suspended Process

Gary <medmanks@mindspring.com> types:
> >> Occasionally, I have accidentally hit cntrl-Z when trying to hit cntrl-C.
> >> Cntrl-Z suspends whatever process I was running and returns me to the
> >> command prompt.  How can I resume the suspended process?
> R>         Use ps to fine the pid, then fg with the pid to bring it back.
> Can also type %(name of program) to bring it back (at least in Linux)

This is a feature of the shell, not the OS. Bash, csh and FreeBSD's
/bin/csh all support it.

Peter <peterk@americanisp.net> types:
> >       Use ps to fine the pid, then fg with the pid to bring it back.
> >

> I have tried this on RH 6.1 box, have yet to try on FBSD but, can I do
> that to processes moving them from on telnet session into another one?

> How about from a tty to an xterm in X?

You need an external seesion manager to do this (possibly RH's bash
does fills that role). Personally, I use xemacs, and then do
"gnuclient -nw' get xemacs to start a frame on my tty.

If xemacs is a bit more than you want to deal with, look into the
screen utility, which is in the ports tree.

	<mike

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Rick Hamell wrote:
>

> > > Occasionally, I have accidentally hit cntrl-Z when trying to hit cntrl-C.
> > > Cntrl-Z suspends whatever process I was running and returns me to the
> > > command prompt.  How can I resume the suspended process?
> >
> > 	Use ps to fine the pid, then fg with the pid to bring it back.
> >

> > 				Rick

Mike Meyer					http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for rates.