Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:34:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Carl Mascott <cmascott@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD 3.3-R: progs started from olvwm menu leave zombies

I'm having a problem with FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE that I didn't
have with 2.2.7-RELEASE.  When I exit a program that I started
from my olvwm 4.2 Programs menu, if the program created a
child process, that child process becomes a zombie.  I have
three programs that do this:

Netscape Navigator 4.08 for FreeBSD;
Netscape Navigator 4.72 for FreeBSD;
An MP3 player that uses the xaudio library, FreeBSD version.

All of these are a.out executables.
Unfortunately, source code isn't available for these, at least
not for the part that does the fork/exec.

If I start any of these programs from a shell prompt in an
xterm window, running the program in the background, there's
no zombie after I exit the program.

Is this a bug in FreeBSD 3.3?  A bug in olvwm 4.2?  A "bad
interaction" between the two?  Have there been any changes
in signals/process groups between 2.2.7 and 3.3?

Please e-mail me directly: I'm not subscribed to this list.
Thanks.

--
Carl Mascott
cmascott@world.std.com