Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 06:26:52 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Procmailrc??? - I'm Not Getting It

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 09:12:58PM -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I've installed Procmail and would like to start experimenting with it.  I've
> searched the web and everthing I find talks about creating a ~/procmailrc
> file.  OK, I understand that each account can have this file in its home dir
> with its own "recipies".  But as a system admin, what if I want to filter
> *all* mail coming into the system before it gets to individual accounts?
> How do I do that?  What am I not understanding?

You start by reading the procmail(1) manpage which contains the
following paragraphs:

       If no rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command
       line,  procmail  will, prior to reading $HOME/.procmailrc,
       interpret commands from /usr/local/etc/procmailrc (if pre-
       sent).     Care    must    be    taken    when    creating
       /usr/local/etc/procmailrc, because, if circumstances  per-
       mit, it will be executed with root privileges (contrary to
       the $HOME/.procmailrc file of course).

       If running suid root or  with  root  privileges,  procmail
       will  be able to perform as a functionally enhanced, back-
       wards compatible mail delivery agent.

       Procmail can also be used as a general purpose  mail  fil-
       ter, i.e., provisions have been made to enable procmail to
       be invoked in a special sendmail rule.

The details on how to configure sendmail to invoke procmail is left as
an exercise for the reader.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson