Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 01:45:17 -0700
From:      dmp@aracnet.com
To:        "Sergey S. Kosyakov" <ks@chg.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: Layer 2 ethernet encryption?

"Sergey S. Kosyakov" wrote:
>> Short of winning a significant lottery, it would be economically
>> impossible to move the network to fibre, there's too many nodes to
>> upgrade.
>
> Security was always expensive :-) More security, more expensies.

True, but the resources needed for the upgrade are well beyond our
means.

>> The network currently can't be segmented any more than it is without
>> breaking it's applications.
>
> 1. I don't undestand. What do you mean "breaking it's applications".

The applications we run would cease to work properly if the network
was segmented any more than it already is.

> 2. Do you thing about huge CPUs load on each host in the case of "too many
> nodes"? In the case of layer2 encryption each host must decrypt each packet in
> the segment, or at least each packet header.

CPU power isn't a concern.  Encryption would be handled by the cypher
chip, not the CPU, and the MAC address wouldn't be encrypted.  The
cypher encrypts layers 3 and up.