Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:38:40 +0800
From:      Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   8.0 & MYSQL50 denying access to user root no password

For many releases of Freebsd going back to 4.3 I have all ways used the
default mysql user root localhost with no password which has been the
default.
With 8.0/mysql-server-5.0.86 I am denied access now.
The mysql manual still says the normal install defaults to allowing
access to user root with no password are in effect.

After a fresh clean install of mysql
Tried  mysqladmin -u root drop test   to delete the test db.
Received this msg
connect to srver at localhost failed
access denied for user 'root@localost (using password: no)
This in not suppose to happen.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Has the package for mysql50-server been changed to force securing user
root with a password?