Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:51:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
To:        Chris P <freebsd@rawfire.torche.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple questions...

> Whats an easy way to check if people are using my machine in the
> backround.. IE doing an ftp?  Is there something other then checking

man w

> OK, and the next question.. My setup is like this.. wireless in (an0)
> NAT/DHCP (false addresses) out on sis0 to the house network.
>
> Once in a while sis0 seems to die.. I think maybe the network card is
> flaky or something.  Basically all the house machines loose connectivity
> to the FreeBSD box.  Cant ping it, nothing.  From the FreeBSD box a
> netstat -rn shows nothing.. all PC's have dropped.. DHCP shows nothing
> being used, etc.. However.. ifconfig sis0 shows up.  And I cannot down
> it.. So, the only fix I know of so far is a complete shut OFF and turn
> back on.  Reboot doesnt cut it.  Its needs power off.. Thats why I think
> its a bad card..   Anyone else have troubles like this? Anyone have
> suggestions short of replacing the card yet?  Trying to save $.. been
> unemployed almost a year now..

I'm not a hardware expert so don't know if the card's bad or not, but why
not swap it with one of the NIC's in your PCs?  If the card is bad then
presumabely your FreeBSD box will start to work fine and that one PC will
start to flake out, but at least it's just the one PC and not the whole
network.

-philip