Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2003 04:35:05 -0400
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "Timothy R. Simmons" <tsimmons77@comcast.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AC-97

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 08:02 pm, Timothy R. Simmons wrote:
> Heyo. I've got a socket 7 mainboard from TekRam systems which has an
> onboard sound controller, using the AC-97 chipset. I don't see that chipset
> specificly listed in the FreeBSD handbook, so I was wondering if anyone out
> there had any experience with this paticular sound chipset. Thanks a bunch.

pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> port 0xe400-0xe403,0xe000-0xe003,0xdc00-0xdcff irq 9 at
device 7.5 on pci0
pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9721/9723 ac97 codec>

I've got it working quite well.  I've heard it's a fairly crappy,
brain-damaged chipset, but it does work fine in freebsd.

just include device pcm in your kernel config file and recompile your kernel

Tim