Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 00:25:09 +1000
From:      "Peter Ortner" <portner@bigpond.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <lures@mozcom.com>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 4.0 & PCI PNP 56K INTERNAL MODEMS

To get nearly any PNP modem working you will need to recompile your kernel.

> After the BIOS Post completes the
> PC Bios PCI Device Listing for the two modems shows
>
> Bus No Device No Func No Vendor Id  Device ID IRQ
>    0      18        0      127A       1005    12
>    0      19        0      127A       1005    5
>
> During the startup of FreeBSD the Probe issues the
> following Messages
>
> pci0 <unknown card> (vendor=0x127a, dev=0x1005) at 18.0 irq 12
> pci0 <unknown card> (vendor=0x127a, dev=0x1005) at 19.0 irq 5
>
> I also get this same Info when I issue command pciconf -l
>
> My questions are
> 1 What is FreeBSD trying to tell me with these msgs?
> 2 What is the PnP ID for each modem?
> 3 What do I have to do to activate modems, assign them
>   device names, and setup modem to dial my ISP at bootup
>   using Kernel PPP and setup the second modem to answer
>   dial in calls using  	Kernel PPP?

Read the LINT file, or check the handbook for kernel recompilation. You will
need to use mgetty, no doubt.

> Blind alleys I have gone down.
>
> I have read a lot of mailing-list messages dealing with PnP
> modems being WINmodems and that they just don't work with
> any release of FreeBSD. This sure was true with 3.4 and
> older FreeBSD versions but Version 4.0 says this has been
> fixed. Version 4.0 was just released in March 2000 and the
> documentation has not been updated to give info on how to
> get it to work in FBSD4.

There's a very good chance that it is a Winmodem; it would be interesting to
hear how you go.

> One of the mailing-list messages says to add the modem's
> PnP ID to the serial driver table in /sys/i386/isa/sio.c to
> activate the modem.  Well version 4.0 does not have a file
> sio.c in that directory path.  This must be out of date
> info.

It lives in /usr/src/isa/sio.c Look for a struct, which has pnp in it's
name. Insert the pnp id into there. I have nfi how you get the card ID
though: pnpinfo is for ISA devices.

> I also tried manual boot-time configuration using
> pnp 18 0 enable bios   But pnp command is nolonger valid
> at  boot -c   in FBSD 4.0.

Indeed. Its a bit of a pain that the pnp man page doesn't say that in 4.0
this doesn't exist. Oh well...