Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2007 00:22:30 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        Claude Menski <claude.menski@gmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I like Ubuntu

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 09:43:27PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> "Claude Menski" <claude.menski@gmail.com> writes:
> > Why is freebsd better then ubuntu?
>=20
> I like Ubuntu too.  If you want a desktop OS that Just Works and
> doesn't require a lot of time to configure and keep up-to-date, it's a
> good choice.

It is definitely nice if you have modern hardware.

It is quite a heavyweight though, by virtue of the heavy desktop
environment and the a ton of daemons that is starts. On a 750 MHz PIII
with 128 MB RAM and a trident 8900 video chip, a default ubuntu install
was unusable IMHO.

You'd probably need to slim it down quite a bit for older hardware. And
that's no job for a newbie. I gave up and installed 6.2-RELEASE with
fvwm2 instead, which runs a lot smoother.

Roland
--=20

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm--