Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 02:12:18 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        danfe@regency.nsu.ru (Alexey Dokuchaev), Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

> From: danfe@regency.nsu.ru (Alexey Dokuchaev)
> Date: Mon 15 Jul, 2002
> Subject: Re: Package system flaws?

> Traditionally, UNIX lived for 30+ years without need for a
> monster like Perl or Ruby, in the base, clearly showing us that
> sh/awk/sed is a [very] decent scripting facility.

Though I did breathe a sigh of relief when shell functions became common
enough to be useful... ;-)

I've never really wanted for anything since.  Except maybe for make(1)
to have a standard conditional syntax.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses