Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2007 19:47:12 +0100
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: HAL error messages]

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 12:21 +0900, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
 > On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 19:50 +0000, Luis Neves wrote:
 > > issue. My PC has a attached multicard reader and HAL produces a
 > > continuous stream of error messages complaining that "Medium not
 > > present" (see below).
 > > Since I have no other problems I think that this is innocuous, but
 > > it screws up "dmesg" and it pollutes "/var/log/messages" is there a
 > > way to  silence HAL?

 > You will have to follow the README.freebsd example for creating an fdi
 > file, and merge the property storage.media_check_enabled with a value
 > of FALSE to tell hald to stop polling this device for media changes
 > (use a unique identifier for this device as the match criterion).  The
 > downside is that auto-mounting will no longer work for this device.
 > It essentially will turn it into a floppy drive.

I have tried to do that, but I failed. Creating
/usr/local/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/10-atapi-device.fdi with
the following content has not changed anything. What am I doing wrong? I
got the info.udi from the device with block.device=/dev/da0:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="info.udi"
string="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial__">
<merge key="storage.media_check_enabled" type="bool">false</merge>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

Alternatively, I tried (without success):

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="block.device" string="/dev/da0">
<merge key="storage.media_check_enabled" type="bool">false</merge>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

(There are da1 and da2, too, but it does not even work for one.)

Thanks
Jan Henrik