Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 1996 00:16:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      A boy and his worm gear <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        pst@Shockwave.COM (Paul Traina)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: s/rpc\.\(.*\)/\1/g?

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Paul Traina had to
walk into mine and say:

> I'd have no objection to renaming the new utilities, if, and only if,
> we do it consistently and rename all the rpc utilities.  This seems reasonable
> given that nfsd and mountd don't have rpc. in front of them.
>
> What are people's feelings?  Rename or don't?

Actually, mountd is known as rpc.mountd on most of the systems I'm
familiar with. There are a lot of RPC daemons that don't have 'rpc.'
prepended to their names purely for hysterical raisins; for instance
we don't have rpc.ypserv and rpc.ypbind, but we do have rpc.yppasswdd.

I'd prefer to rename things so that they match most other common
*NIXes. As it happens, this means matching the SunOS naming convention
since a lot of commercial *NIX vendors license Sun's NIS/NFS/RPC code.
This means that mountd would become rpc.mountd, yppasswdd would become
rpc.yppasswdd and bootparamd would become rpc.bootparamd, but nfsd would
stay the same. You would also have rpc.lockd and rpc.statd, whenever
somebody finally sits down and writes them.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager
License error: The license for this .sig file has expired. You must obtain
a new license key before any more witty phrases will appear in this space.