Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 07:26:40 -0700
From:      Mahlon <mahlon@martini.nu>
To:        "Michael Hopkins, ACS Consultancy" <mhopkins@netmatters.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Talking to FreeBSD from OS X

> (1)  What would be required (after plugging a crossover cable between
> network cards) to let the machines see each other & interact?

By interact, I assume you mean filesharing.  Because you are using
OSX, you have a few options on the FreeBSD side of things.

Option 1)  Install Netatalk from the ports.  Share files over
appletalk.

Option 2)  Share your stuff via NFS, and setup NetInfo manager on
OSX to automount the shares.  Alias them to wherever (desktop, etc)
for easy access.

Option 3)  If the code is in a CVS repository, just cvs checkout
over the network, using the cvs pserver options.

Option 4)  Just login via ssh and do whatever work you want to via
remote shell.

Option 5) With some serious tweaking of both OSX and FreeBSD's
default NIS makefile, you can use a FreeBSD NIS master to login to
your OSX box, and have a shared homedir for yourself.  (hint: as
of OSX 10.1, DES passwords required, and no shadow passwords in NIS
maps.  Hopefully, we'll see some friendlier integration with NIS
in the future.)

> Will it all be as easy in reality as it sounds?

Depends on what route you go.  :)

Generally, yes.  If the boxes are pinging each other, then the
hardest part is out of the way already.  All of the solutions I
mentioned above are outlined either in the FreeBSD handbook/faq,
or can be found with a quick google search - most with step by step
instructions.

Mahlon E. Smith                          jabber id: mahlon@chat.martini.nu
http://www.martini.nu/                 get pgp key:  mahlon-pgp@martini.nu
 Shell that was once steak,  Now hides the Jell-O pudding, It's the worst
                           flavor. -Todd Harris