Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 11:20:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Meaning of net.inet.tcp.inflight_debug output?

:
:On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
:Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
:
:>     When you turn the debugging on it will print out various
:>     parameters used to calculate the bandwidth window.  The higher the
:>     debug value, the more often it prints out the stats (assuming a
:>     TCP is under load). Since the stats may reflect any tcp connection
:>     you typically only do this while running a single TCP connection
:>     under heavy load.
:
:So shouldn't it be off by default?
:
:>     rttbest and srtt are scaled to hz * 32, I believe (I'm not
:>     positive). So with the default 100 hz it would be scaled to 3200,
:>     so an rttbest of 680 would translate to 212mS.  Sounds like a
:>     connection over a modem.
:
:On my side there's a DSL line (768k up / 128k down), I don't know what
:was on the other side for this particular example.
:
:Bye,
:Alexander.

    Well, it's an experimental feature.  The whole feature is turned
    off by default but in -current debugging is turned on by default
    if you turn the feature on.  In -stable debugging is turned off
    by default to avoid confusion.

    In anycase, I could change the debugging default to off in
    -current but I can't do it right this moment.  I'll try to
    remember to do it tonight.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>