Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:15:20 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

> > > actually the only thing affected by the patent, in any case,
> > > since that is Unisys' (Terry Welch's, actually) contribution.
> > > The LZ (Lempel-Ziv) decoder will decode both, and is not patent
> > > protected.  I would have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure
> > > that patent has expired, unless it was submerged (filed but not
> > > executed) prior to GIF images becoming common on the net.  At
> >
> > I think I read that it's supposed to expire in 2003.
>
> Try 1999:
>
> http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn=US04558302__

Isn't the lifetime of a patent 20 years from date of filing? The
above page says it was filed in June 1983.

Besides, 1999 is the year Unisys suddenly started demanding $5000
from websites which use "unlicensed" GIF's.

http://www.unisys.com/unisys/lzw/lzw-license.asp

The page contains a "clarification" on licensing of GIF's
dated September 1999. Their earlier announcement on the $5000
fee was not long before that. It seems a bit strange if the
patents were supposed to expire the same year.