Date:      Sun, 06 Jul 2008 15:38:56 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Jan Henrik Sylvester" <me@janh.de>
Cc:        gnome-list freebsd <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>, Oliver Lehmann <oliver@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: please test with firefox3 - am I the only one with that "bug"?

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 13:29:09 -0500, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
wrote:

> Jeremy wrote:
>  >Oliver wrote:
>  >> http://files.pofo.de/test.html
>  >> http://files.pofo.de/test2.html
>  >>
>  >> the only difference is, that in test2 there is some more text which
> makes
>  >> firefox3 tiling the <td>'s background picture because it doesn't fit.
>
> I can reproduce this bug as well. Are you affected from the black
> resizes images, too?
>
>  > You can try to do with XAANoOffscreenPixmaps stuff, see below.
>
> I tried that again. Now with it on "false", I cannot reproduce any of
> the two bugs. Weird. Either, I misspelled the option last time, or it is
> something temporary.
>
> Moreover, I was able to reproduce the black resized images bug on
> another machine, which uses the "nv" and not the "radeon" driver. There,
> using "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "false" fixes it as well. That machine got
> all packages from the first one.
>
> If this is really a video driver issue, it is really weird that it shows
> up on "radeon" and "nv".

It is not weird. The open source video drivers are the worst. But hopeful,
soon everything will be change when someone complete driver from AMD/ATI
hardware document. Same for Intel and VIA. I actually complete agree with
this
http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2008/06/nitty-gritty-shit-on-open-source.html
..

Anyway.... I have found many users report over at Ubuntu's launchpad.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/182038

It looks like it's not FreeBSD speific. One last thing that I would like
you guys to give one more try. Try to get Firefox 3 to use its own jpeg in
its tarball. I got this idea from above bugs.launchpad.net URL. However,
add ' -jpeg' in USE_MOZILLA at 26 line in www/firefox3/Makefile and
reinstall it. Remove that XAANoOffscreenPixmaps workaround and give
Firefox 3 a try again in same websites that you are having problem. If it
helps, I can make a change in www/firefox3 and bump it. If not, then I
think that there is nothing that I can help. You will have to work with
freedesktop.org or/and freebsd-x11@ to improvement with video drivers. If
you find that it's actually firefox 3 bug, please let us know.

> You said you wanted to compare "make configure" for firefox3:
>
> http://home.arcor.de/jan_henrik/freebsd-tmp/firefox3-make-configure.bz2

Thanks, I don't see any different between our. Back to video driver or
jpeg or else.

Cheers,
Mezz

--