Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:31:03 +1000
From:      David Lapsley <david@melbourneit.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Programming

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of setting up an ATM Research and Development
testbed network consisting of high-end PCs running FreeBSD connected to each
other via ATM interfaces. I was wondering if there is a FreeBSD group working
on an ATM API for FreeBSD, and if so how I could go about joining and
contributing to the devlopment of the API.

I am also working on my own transport protocol (as part of my PhD thesis)
that routes packets between the (currently ethernet) interfaces of a
FreeBSD machine using explicit rate feedback to the sources to tell them what
rate to transmit it(similar in concept to the ATM Forum's ABR standard).
I understand that Linux has a group that is working on a specially optimized
kernel for use in routing machines, and I was wondering if there is a similar
FreeBSD group.

Regards,

David Lapsley.