Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 19:03:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Targeting the server: Not such a good idea?

> >"The trouble is that no one wants to have separate training, separate
> >software, separate configuration, or separate experts for the server.
> >Companies are tired of paying a CNE 'guru' big bucks to fix NetWare and
>
> No need for an NT admin. Bullshit. That is the biggest myth of NT. And if
> the workload requires a staff of six, then what diff does it make if one
> person is Unix and 5 do help desk.

He said "seperate experts", not "no experts".  I think the point
was that Windows training is transferrable between their server
and desktop operating systems.  I believe that this is true, and
that one of the biggest reasons this is true is "InstallShield".

> >then keeping a whole separate staff around to support DOS and Windows. And
> >they want their workstations to act like servers: fast, efficient, and rock
> >solid. They don't want to see these traits limited to the server! The
> >operating system that everybody wants will run on everything, maybe with a
> >few tweaks for what it's doing, and will be reliable, fast, and secure
>
> If this was true, Unix would bo on the desktop already.

UNIX is not on the desktop because of Kanwahl Rheki, when he was
at Novell, deciding to "deemphasize the desktop".  I was in the
conference room on the first floor of the Novell Sandy, Utah
office off the 106th south exit off Interstate 15, where I worked
for Novell, when this announcement was made regarding UnixWare.

Ray Noorda (then CEO of Novell) was in the room too, watching how
this preannouncement would play to the engineering staff, as a
predictor of press reaction.

I personally asked the question "If people aren't going to be
running UnixWare on their desktops, wat _Novell_ operating
system will they be running on their desktops?".  Rheki's answer
was "They won't be running a Novell OS, they'll be running
Windows".  To this answer, Ray Noorda got up and stormed out of
the room; soon afterwards, Rheki "left to pursue other opportunities";
but the damage of the deemphasis had already been done.

UNIX needs a vendor with *BALLS* to hit the desktop, but I firmly
believe that the desktop can be hit.  Novell was a mere 16 Million
dollar investment from this at one point, and gave up out of fear
of Microsoft.

UNIX also needs an ABI unification, where you can turn frigging
"vendor extensions" *OFF* and be guaranteed of running across
all platforms.  I believe the first Free UNIX that standardizes
on an ABI in alignment with a commercial vendor could be enough
to trigger a cascade of UNIX unification: a "shot heard 'round the
world".

> >everywhere. And if you know how to fix the desktop machine, you will be
> >able to work on the server too. NT would have taken over the world by now
>
> Also bullshit.

The training barrier we are talking about here is the ability to
use a common interface on both desktop and server platforms.  It
has nothing whatsoever to do with the ability to perform complex
operations using those interfaces.  In most cases, the interfaces
explicitly limit your range of choices, by default, to those which
will work for 95% of users.  This doesn't totally shut out "power
users", but it does shut out the barrier to usage called "complexity"
that most people can't get their heads around.

> Oh, and FreeBSD does the desktop as good as any unix but not as good as
> Mac or Windows. So what?

I think the thesis, that of needing to support the desktp to win
the server war, is a valid one.  It certainly rings true with my
professional experience, both at Novell, USL, and elsewhere.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.