Date:      Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:43:49 +0100
From:      Pietro Cerutti <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   acroread security problem

Dear all,
I think there's a security problem with the acroread plugin for firefox.

I'm using sysutils/pwsafe to manage my passwords. A feature of this
tool is that it can copy the requested password to the X clipboard,
allowing the user to paste it (eg. in a password box), never seeing
the pass in clear.

When I load a PDF document in Firefox, the acroread process lives on
even after the PDF document is closed:

$ pgrep acroread
17260

and reads anything I copy in the X clipboard.

So when I use pwsafe to get a password, the pass is sent to the
acroread process:

$ pwsafe -p gmail
Going to copy password to X selection
Enter passphrase for /home/piter/.pwsafe.dat: [xxx]
You are ready to paste the password for gmail from PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD
Press any key when done
Sending password for gmail to acroread@gahr via CLIPBOARD

and this is done automatically. Note that I dind't touch any key after
writing the main password of pwsafe (noted [xxx] in the code above).

Can anyone explain this behaviour?

Thank you very much, best regards.

[list of ports installed]
www/firefox: firefox-1.5,1
www/linuxpluginwrapper: linuxpluginwrapper-20050910
print/acroread7: acroread7-7.0.1

--
Pietro Cerutti
<pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>