Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:55:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: locale questions

Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net> wrote:
 >         Okay, OpenOffice 2.0 is now spewing out the error message:
 >
 > I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"
 >
 >   Hmmm. So, from what I understand from the documentation I have
 >   looked at, this is because I do not have an entry in the /etc/
 >   login.conf file covering this entry. Yes/no?

Locales are searched for in /usr/share/locales, and there
is no locale "en_US".  The next closest locale would be
"en_US.US-ASCII".  You could make a Symlink to en_US, but
that's an ugly hack, of course.  :-)

Better set your locale environment to one of the existing
locales.  You can do that globally via /etc/login.conf,
or just for yourself in your shell's login profikle/script.

 >   Another thing - as I look in /etc/login.conf, I DO have a
 >   Russian entry. Why?

Those are just examples.

 >   So, if I do need to create an entry in the login.con file,
 >   what is the charset that I define?

Depends on what charset you want.  :-)

On my local machine here, I changed the "default" entr (at
the very beginning) to look like this:

default:\
        :passwd_format=md5:\
        :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
        :welcome=/etc/motd:\
        :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO8859-1:\
        ...etc...

i.e. I set the default to German locale with ISO8859-1
charset (that's because all users on that machine are
German anyway).  Also, I set only LC_CTYPE to get the
character set support, but none of the other locale
variables, to avoid nasty surprises.

If you just want an US-ASCII character set, use the
"en_US.US-ASCII" locale instead.  See /usr/share/locale
for all locales that are supported.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The ITU has offered the IETF formal alignment with its
corresponding technology, Penguins, but that won't fly."
        -- RFC 2549