Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 16:41:34 --100
From:      sf@salt.atb.CH (Steve Flasby)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.0 won't boot on my machine

Hi
    I have a Compaq Contura Aero 4/33C with 12 Meg RAM & 255 Meg Disk space.

    I seem to be unable to get the thing to boot/install from floppy.
    The problem doesnt seem to be related to the boot disk as this works
    on both a big machine and a friends portable.

    Everything seems fine except for a couple of suspect lines in the
    boot information which follow.

    fdc0 at 0x3F0 0x3F7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
    fdc0:            <----- This line is empty which looks bad
    wdc0 at 0x1F0-0x1F7 irq 14 on isa
    wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM DAYTONA256A>
    wd0: 244MB (501039 total sec), 723 cyl, 11 head, 53 sec, bytes/sec 512
    npx0 on motherboard
    npx0: 387 Emulator
    changing root device to fd0c
    wdc0: extra interrupt
    wd0: changing size of 'd' partition from 498960 to 501039
    Panic: cannot mount root

    and thats it. I guess I will need to use the -c option to kick it in
    but info on this option is a bit sparse.

    One other thing occurs to me, this machine has a Compaq specific setup/
    check partition which you can drop into using a function key during
    boot, maybe I should dispose of this partition...
    Nope - its not that as I just deleted the partion using FDISK and tried
    booting again. Gloom.

    Finally I deleted ALL partitions on this rotten machine and it still
    doesn't boot. I give up. Has anyone out there managed to install FreeBSD
    on this evil Compaq box?

    Any help appreciated.

Steve Flasby 			        SCHWEIZERBOERSE - SWX
email: sf@atb.ch			EBS PROJECT
phone: +41 1 286 8288			Bleicherweg 10, 8022 Zurich
fax:   +41 1 286 8496			SWITZERLAND