Date:      22 Nov 2002 10:01:51 +1000
From:      Duncan Anker <d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A question of where to put swap

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 09:44, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> I am in the business of re-arranging my disk layouts to reflect the
> realities if life :)
> My FreeBSD system currently runs on a SCSI-3 Disk, but I have two
> modern, fast IDE disks that will be gaining a considerable amount of
> free space in the re-arrangements. I tend to run during the course of
> the day several extremely memory loving programs which cause
> paging/swapping to occur. I would like opinions on whether I would
> notice an improvement if I moved the swap area (which lives on the SCSI
> disk with the rest of the system) to the front of one of the IDE disks.
> I intend to make a new slice on the IDE disk anyway.
>
> I cannot afford any more memory (my mobo will not take it anyway).
> I ask this more out of curiosity than because it is a particular problem
> to me at the moment .. but future plans may change the criticality of
> such decisions. (I am not sure there is such a word as criticality...).
>
> Thanks for any input.

I believe you are supposed to put a swap partition on every physical
disk, up to 4, for optimum swap usage, allowing enough space for future
memory expansions (which doesn't seem relevant here). I'm not sure how
mcuh swap is good, but I think it's at least twice physical.

As far as where to put it, I have seen various recommendations on
putting swap on the outside of the disc (presumably to do with angular
velocity) which I guess is the front.

The first partition is where I put the swap on my Mac, but I can't say
if it made any difference, since Apple seems to think everybody wants
one big disk and makes it really difficult to use partitions
effectively.

As far as FreeBSD goes, it at least lets you do what you want if you are
savvy enough to know what you are doing, and I can't see that it would
hurt. Perhaps you could do some benchmarking?
--

The information contained in this email is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the