Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:02:19 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDI 3.0 feature list

On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > This is a bit off-topic, but I find it ironic that BSDI 3.0 contains
> > > almost everything FreeBSD -current had (or stuff we've had for quite a
> >
> > What's ironic about it?  Their contributor pool isn't as large as
> > FreeBSD's.
>
> I think you're mistaken.  Almost every one of BSDi/3.0 'features' are
> kernel features, and the # of kernel hackers in FreeBSD is about the
> same as in BSDi.  It's certainly a lot less than in something like
> NetBSD, but it seems most of them spend all their time just trying to
> keep their's kernel working (or get it working :) rather than doing lots
> of new features.

Erm.  I didn't look at it that way.

One thing to consider is that they initially had the CSRG VM guy, but not
the FS/VM guy.  Maybe they waffled on what to do for a while.

I wonder what approach they used to make (read/write/mmap) coherent?
This could make for an interesting comparison.

Regards,

Mike