Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:41:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@bsd.we.mediaone.net>
To:        Box@bsd.we.mediaone.net, DHCP@bsd.we.mediaone.net, IPFW/NATD@bsd.we.mediaone.net, on@bsd.we.mediaone.net, Questions@bsd.we.mediaone.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISC

Hi all1!

Okay, I'm sure this isn't the most secure setup,
but I have a FreeBSD box that I use as my ipfw/natd
box, my samba box, my identd box, and my workstation
which I just recently added isc-dhcp server to.

I only want to give dynamic address to computers on my
internal network which is 192.168.0.1/24 based address
scheme.  I don't want it to try to hand out addresses
on the internet side.  Know what I mean?

I trid to start it up with only a subnet option for my
internal network, but it complained about not having
subnet "rules" for the external network.

In order to get it functioning I had add the external
subnet information.  This setup works, but I'm afraid
that might ISP might get pissed because I'm running
a DHCP server.

I'm on MediaOne cable internet by the way.

How do I make sure that no addresses get assigned by
my server on the external network side?  Know what I
mean?  In other words, how I do I turn off dhcp services
on the external network side but keep it for the internal
network side?

This might be a trivial thing to do, but I'm not sure where
to look at this point.  I have read the man page.  From there
I gathered the "not authorative" option which I added to the
external subnet options.  I don't know if this is the correct
way to shut it off.

Any help or pointers will be appreciated.

TIA,

Joey