Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 12:50:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@pk.she.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BootEasy does not boot from the right disk (2.2.5-RELEASE)

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Christoph Sold wrote:

> Done. Works like it should. Now do you have some pointers about the
> BootEasy bootmanger source? I'd really like to fix this once and for all,
> since a lot of people stumble across that pitfall.

The source (in assembler) is in tools/src on the FTP site or CDROM.  It's
in the bteasy* archive.

> >Move the disk to the primary controller.  If you don't want to do that,
> >you're going to get the obligatory ``can't mount root''.
>
> Must have something to do with the shortcomings of good ol' PC achitecture.
>
> >If you really really want to have the disks split, then follow these
> >instructions:
> >
> >1. Have the line:
> >config kernel root on wd2
>
> Would this prevent booting this kernel from wd0?

No, I don't think so.  I haven't experimented with that line very much.

> >in your kernel config,
> >OR:
> >
> >2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
> >original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
> >parameters unchanged).
>
> Well, although this should work, it would prevent me to ever move anything
> to wd(1,a), wouldn't it?

wd1 == second IDE disk in system to the boot BIOS.  If you decide to ever
add a disk to the first controller, then you would need a rebuild.