Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 17:04:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mr. K." <bsd@inbox.org>
To:        Jonathan Fosburgh <syjef@mail.mdanderson.org>
Cc:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD license questions

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
> > But, as Alfred replied, the license only goes one level deep.  The software
> > can be relicensed with proprietary terms although it must include a copy of
> > the original BSD license stating its origins.  Is this correct?
> The original source/binary cannot itself be relicensed, that remains
> forever the intellectual property of the Regents (until sold,
> released, etc). Only modifications you make can be under a different
> license. The BSD license just lets you release the code+mods in binary
> only form, as opposed to the GPL where your mods are GPL as well. I
> could do up my own distro of FreeBSD without changing any code. If I
> do that, I still have to have a copyright statement saying that
> portions are copyright The FreeBSD Project, Inc, The Regents of the
> University of California, etc etc etc, but I don;t have to make the
> source available except for the portions that are GPL'd.

The question does not concern source.  It concerns distribution in binary
without allowing redistribution.  If the BSD licence allows you to release
the code+mods in binary only form, what stops the end user from
re-releasing the code+mods in binary only form?  This is actually a good
question, which I don't see an adequate answer to.  The statement was that
the licence only goes one level deep, but that is not said in the licence
itself.