Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:06:16 -0900
From:      "Peter A. Giessel" <pgiessel@mac.com>
To:        Andy Kendall <admin@kendallnet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network Printing recommendations please

On 2007/03/08 12:02, Andy Kendall seems to have typed:
> The printers I have are a bullet-proof classic/HPLJ4 with internal JetDirect
> card, and a new HPDeskjet 6980 (colour inkjet).
>
> Unless someone can come up with a good reason to use X-Windows I don't know
> if I want to install it so that counts out LPRng?

I would suggest trying out CUPS and reading the manual on how to use the CUPS
LPR instead of the standard LPR, especially for the inkjet.
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/man-lpr.html

You should be able to use LPR directly for the HPLJ4 if you don't want CUPS:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-intro-setup.html