Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:52:39 -0700
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PRE_SMPNG question....

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 07:17:54PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> If I want to make sure that PC164's boot and run in the source tree
> that was tagged PRE_SMPNG, is it acceptable to MFC, as it were, the fix?
>
> I've had to, hah hah (coz I wasn't as careful as I should) spend most of the
> day reinstalling 4.1 so I could get back to having some stable disks I can
> actually boot from prior to moving ahead back into -current for alpha. It
> strikes me that having the PRE_SMPNG stuff be stable would be good.
>
> But I'll admit that I'm a bit hazy as to how branches work vs. tags.

PRE_SMPNG is a static tag.  That means that the only way to modify the
PRE_SMPNG version of a file is to move the tag to a different version of a
file.  So, unless the file hasn't changed since the PRE_SMPNG tag was
created, moving the tag will prove very difficult.  Indeed, the purpose of
the PRE_SMPNG tag was not to provide a branch point; it was merely meant to
mark the last moment before the SMP code destabilized the tree.

Jason