Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:37:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Scott Augustus <scott@visgen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named errors

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Scott Augustus wrote:

> I'd say I've got named about 99% done but I'm having problems doing an
> interactive nslookup from other machines to these freebsd boxes (ie:
> nslookup - freebsdbox)  I get the following errors:
>
> *** Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Non-existent
> host/domain
> *** Default servers are not available

	Your xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx doesn't have a PTR record.  If you own that
	IP (or range), you will need to add in-addr-arpa records for those
	IPs.  If they are not delegated to you then whomever owns them
	doesn't have PTR records intact.  If they are non-routeables, you
	should add an in-addr-arpa zone for them.

> However, you can do local interactive nslookups no problem.
>
> I'm thinking it might have something to do with hosed PTR records or
> something.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips as to what would cause
> this to happen or maybe point me at a good named doc/faq, or sample
> named.conf files for FreeBSD, which I've yet to find!

	This could be a any number of problems.  Check to make sure that
	you can do a reverse lookup (PTR) on your default nameserver's IP
	address.

	The name server configuration for FreeBSD should be no different
	than that on an OpenBSD, linux, etc, Unix box.  What works on one
	should work on another (default)...that is if you are running
	ISC's BIND.

	I would recommend buying OReilly's DNS/Bind rev 3 book.  It is a
	great reference and should answer most of your DNS questions.

Nick Rogness
- Speak softly and carry a Gigabit switch.