Date:      10 Feb 2002 17:49:04 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail.ru>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Core GNOME distfiles

--=-uVSWNVMUBEjDFHXyoZK2

On Sun, 2002-02-10 at 10:38, Ade Lovett wrote:
> On 02/10/02 02:25, "Maxim Sobolev" <sobomax@mail.ru> wrote:
> > I think that more formal approach would be better: any port that uses
> > MASTER_SITE_GNOME as its primary download location should go into
> > DIST_SUBDIR of "gnome". An appropriate HEADS-UP and a conversion shell
> > script for those who already have many GNOME1 bits in their
> > /usr/ports/distfiles is a must.
>=20
> Cool.  Max nailed my devils advocate position :)  I'm happy to go for thi=
> -- a number of my current port changes simply revolve around the fact tha=
> MASTER_SITE_GNOME has (finally) caught up with reality on a bunch of port=
s,
> and should therefore be added back in.
>=20
> > Also a good idea would be extending bsd.gnome.mk in the case when
> > $DIST_SUBDIR=3D=3D"gnome" to check for distfile both in $DISTDIR and
> > $DISTDIR/gnome and print a warning that the user should move the
> > distfile into $DISTDIR/gnome.
>=20
> Or even move it automagically?  Want to provide the bsd.gnome.mk foo for
> this?

Not sure that automagic is appropriate here, because theoretically
/usr/ports/distfiles could be ro mountpoint (e.g. CD or something like
that). Moreover, selection of the evolutionary way (as indicated in your
mail below) makes this not really necessary.

> > I object to the massive conversion and would rather see gradual
> > switchover, i.e. gzip->bzip2 conversion should be only committed along
> > with a version update. Otherwise we will unnecessarily hurt users with
> > slow Internet connections (me included).
>=20
> Jolly good again.  I'd object to it, too, if there wasn't some extra
> functionality involved.
>=20
> So, now that a few heads have been poked, how about:
>=20
> (1) anything that has MASTER_SITE_GNOME in the MASTER_SITES will be migra=
ted
> to the "gnome1/" distfiles subdirectory on next update, or just prior to =
the
> freeze for 4.6-RELEASE, whichever comes first.
>=20
> (2) anything that uses MASTER_SITE_GNOME and has a bzip2 tarball availabl=
> will be migrated to bzip2 on the next update, or just prior to the freeze
> for 4.6-RELEASE, whichever comes first.
>=20
> (3) any and all ports that make up gnome-2 (soon to be committed), will h=
ave
> their distfiles placed in the gnome2/ subdirectory.
>=20
> Better?

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking about. No more objections from
here - let's stick to this plan if all other freebsd-gnome inhabitants
are happy with it.

-Maxim

--=-uVSWNVMUBEjDFHXyoZK2

--=-uVSWNVMUBEjDFHXyoZK2--