Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:00:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        bcg@intelli7.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device probe issue with an em(4) compatible device

In message: <1096476707.2670.1088.camel@localhost.localdomain>
            Brenden Grace <bcg@intelli7.com> writes:
: I am writing a network driver for a em(4) compatible chip. I know the
: specific subvendor id and subdevice id, but the em(4) driver seems to
: attach to the device before my driver can. Is this because the em_probe
: is occurring before my probe AND because the em_probe is allowing for
: PCI_ANY_ID for subvendor subdevice ids (the vendor and device ids of my
: card are identical to an actual Intel card)? If so the solution then
: would be to have the em driver return a number less than zero in
: em_probe and my driver's probe to return a number greater than the
: em_probes's return?

Ths solution is to have em's probe return a small negative number, and
your probe return a larger negative number (eg, -10 for the em probe
and -5 for yours).

However, is there any reason you're writing a driver for a device
that's compatible with em?  why not use em?

Warner