Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 19:25:42 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        David Syphers <dsyphers@igpp.llnl.gov>
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86

Hi,

When you ``make'' a port, it first looks in /usr/ports/distfiles/ for
the distribution archive(s).  In the XFree86 case, it looks in
/usr/ports/distfiles/xc (just to confuse things...).

If it doesn't find the archive there, it'll try to download it.  This
is done by first looking in the MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE variable (You
can ``make MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE=/some/place/that/i/like/''), then in
/cdrom/distfiles, then it tries to get the archive from the 'net.

So, /usr/ports/distfiles/xc is the magic directory in your case :-)

The ``make configure'' will unpack and patch the source archives.
The `tar' and edit mentioned on my web site does the ``add support
for NeoMagic'' bit, and the ``make install'' does the rest.

Drop me a line if you have more problems.

Cheers.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;