Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:12:00 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gif and compression and ipfw

Hi all.

I've experimented with using gif devices to create private tunnels over
the 'net.  It worked just fine.

From this I have two follow-on questions which I have not found answers
to:

1) Can the data being 'tunnelled' also be compressed on the fly to
squeeze more data through a line with little bandwidth? (and if so,
How?)

2) How does ipfw interact with the gif(n) interfaces.  As far as I could
tell, ipfw was processing P:4 packets, but whatever emerged from the
gif(n) interface did not pass through the ipfw ruleset. ?!?

PS: I've also noticed IPsec while browsing the handbook.  Would this be
a better choice than gif, or are they totally different animals?

Thanks for any insights or pointers.

Regards,
Patrick.