Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:13:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        julian@elischer.org, nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMWare on -current, how fast should I expect it to be?

Julian Elischer (julian@elischer.org) wrote:

> Nik Clayton wrote:
> >
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > For those of you running VMWare (2) on -current, how fast do you expect it to
> > be?
> >
> > I'm running it quite successfully on a 750MHz PIII w/ 128MB RAM, and the
> > following disk controller / disk
> >
> >     atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xfc90-0xfc9f at device 7.1 on pci0
> >     ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
> >     ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
> >     ad0: 17301MB <FUJITSU MHJ2181AT> [35152/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
> >
> > This is -current from about three weeks ago.  It works, but it's a bit slow.
> > Applications themselves run at a reasonable speed, but every now and then
> > (can be as frequent as 10-15 seconds)
>
> use only virtual disks and see if it still happens.
> I found (on vmware 1) that using the raw disks was a recipe for
> poor performance. Since we don't have block devices any more,
> we are screwed in this regard. Virtual disks (files) are however
> buffered and so can sometimes work faster.

 I'm confused...

 I thought one of the justifications for removing the block devices
 was "look - Linux doesn't have any."

 So, if Vmware runs on Linux, and Linux doesn't have any block devices,
 why would Vmware need block devices?

 [Of course, I'm speaking in absence of knowledge - does Linux have/not
 have block devices?]

	- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers@dignus.com                         Work: (919) 676-0847