Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:32:12 -0500
From:      Robert William Vesterman <bob@vesterman.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome without the stuff?

Mark Rowlands wrote:

>/usr/ports/www/firefox
>/usr/ports/www/epiphany
>/usr/ports/mail/evolution
>/usr/ports/games/gnome-music-quiz
>/usr/ports/games/gnomeattacks
>/usr/ports/games/gnomebreakout
>/usr/ports/games/gnomechess
>/usr/ports/games/gnomegames2
>/usr/ports/games/gnomegames2-extra-data
>/usr/ports/games/gnomekiss
>/usr/ports/games/gnomememoryblocks
>/usr/ports/games/gnomermin
>
>Sure they have dependencies, you might need X........

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something fundamental.  Is "Gnome" nothing
more than the collection of applications like Evolution and Epiphany and
the little game with the colored marbles? I thought it was a GUI
environment, not an application suite.

Now, I understand that epiphany and so forth can be installed via their
own ports.  But the "gnome2" package installs epiphany and evolution and
gnomegames and assorted other gnomecrappitycrap (I'm sure it's wonderful
stuff, no offense intended by this choice of words).  Gnome2 "depends"
upon the little game with the colored marbles.  But I just want the
Gnome desktop without that game, and so forth.

But if I'm right that Gnome is nothing more than gnomecrappitycrap et
al, then maybe what I'm really looking for would be the Windows Manager
that Gnome uses by default? That is, Metacity? Maybe?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions - I'm mostly new to this, and am
confused as to the roles of (Gnome/KDE/Whatever) versus
(Metacity/WindowMaker/Whatever).

>Personally I want the moon on a stick.

I'm sorry, I can't help you with that.

Thanks,