Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2012 17:42:58 +0100
From:      Bernt Hansson <bah@bananmonarki.se>
To:        "Edward M." <eam1edward@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port to package amd64 to i386

2012-03-05 10:20, Edward M. skrev:
> On 03/05/2012 12:42 AM, Bernt Hansson wrote:
>> Build the port on amd64 and install it on i386 as a package.
>>
>> Is it possible? Pointers? Handholding? How-to?
>

> http://filipenf.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/cross-compiling-for-x86-in-freebsd-64-bit/

Thank you for the pointer. I do find it a bit overkill to setup jails
and such, just to build a few ports. I was thinking more along the line of;

cd /usr/ports/"random port"

make "it for i386 even if we are building it on amd64, ooh by the way
build it as a package, and all dependencies as packages as well"

Oh man, man ports. But I do not find the flag
-build-for-another-system-cpu-whatever

Can the ports system be (ab)used in that way?