Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 2010 03:32:38 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eject CD

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:26:44 +0700 (ICT), Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:
> I am not running any of these, as far as I know, it could be an SCSI
> bus reset? But then it is hardware and back to the above explanation.

I doubt that a SCSI bus reset can make an optical drive open
(allthough it can close an open one); ATAPICAM facility, I
think, can't do something similar.

I would really think it may be a hardware problem, sparks on
the SCSI line (or whatever kind of bus the drive uses). :-)

>From my own experience: I have a CD drive (old, 16x) that
tends to close automatically when opened, but just sometimes,
sometimes not. It even does this if connected to power only,
so there are no "controlling informations" transfered into
the drive's logic.

Commands like "camcontrol eject" can be used to intendedly
open an optical drive, but most settings require certain
user permissions (on the controlling devices) to do so, and
I don't think programs like the ones you mentioned to have
such abilities...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany