Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:04:48 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 chapters in bad need of an overhaul

Nik Clayton said on Aug 22, 2001 at 14:53:50:
> In re this (and our other copyright discussions) I think we've been a
> bit confused.
>
> I'm now not sure that we need copyright assignment to the Foundation.
> What we do need is license clarification, so that all the content is
> under the same license.  The copyright on individual chunks of text can
> be held by the original authors, as it already is.

I personally think copyright assignment is a good idea, because people
may contribute large chunks of text to existing text, and it's
difficult to keep track of who has copyright to what, should such an
issue crop up.

For example, two of the handbook sections
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html
and
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html
were started before I became interested, but in present form, the
major parts were written by me (going by word count).  That is not clear
to a reader of the handbook.  Now I don't care at all about the
copyright of these particular writings of mine.  But if some people do
care about copyrights to handbook contributions, it seems to me it would be
hard to disentangle different peoples' contributions.  If nobody
cares, I don't see why not just ask everyone to assign copyrights
to the foundation.  These things matter only in the case of ownership
disputes, but in such cases, doesn't it make it easier if one entity
holds the entire copyright?

Just my 0.02 euro