Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:13:23 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "James Johnson" <bonk1138@msn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error Codes

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:45:29 -0700  "James Johnson" wrote:
 +------------------
 | Hello,
 | 	I'm coming from an NT background, where "error codes" are used to descr
ibe
 | events. Does FreeBSD have a similar model? If so, Where can I got to pick up
 | a list of definitions?
 |
 | Thanks
 +------------------

One the disadvantages of opensource development is that there is
little if any coordination of messages generated by applications.
Thus there is no "list" of all the messages that a given freebsd
system might generate.

There are some conventions though.  Most system proceses and daemons
write something to syslog when they stumble or trip.  Some applications
generate their own logging.  Others just write error messages to
standard error or standard out.  Still others just die with a non
zero exit code.  Finaly there are a few that just suffer in silence.

When attempting to what application messages mean I start with any
available documentation such as manual or web pages.  If that
doesn't help I look at the code.  If you are still in the dark you
can try mailing the author.

chris

--
    Chris Fedde