Date:      Sat, 05 Sep 1998 10:46:37 -0500
From:      Bobby Walker <bob@safeweb.net>
To:        John <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building ports thru a firewall

John wrote:
> There are email clients around that will recognise the link part of an
> email without the rest being HTML formatted. To the majority of people,
> HTML formatted mail comes across as a load of unintelligible rubbish.
> It can add greatly to the payload of each email.
>
> The acceptance of email generally is greatly aided by the fact that
> everyone with the simplest mail client can use it.
>
> I don't want or need to know what particular software someone has in
> order for me to send him or her a message - it is implicit that the
> recipient will be able to read my message by virtue of the fact that
> they have an email address, that email is for plain text and that I am
> sending plain text. If I want them to see HTML, I put a link in my
> message that they can cut 'n paste to a browser.
>
> Similarly, I know that if I make a website that people will access it
> with a browser, and it is implicit that the browser can understand HTML
> therefore the user can see what the browser understands.
>
> Of course, I could mention that the htmlisation of email is a micro$oft
> conspiracy to webify everything to the desktop but I don't want to start
> a religious war, and anyway I'd be paranoid to think this :)
>
> --
> John

You see, John has it right.  Microsoft is making the computer an easy to
use thing via point-and-click, that brings the computer to those who
would otherwise never have one, which in turn makes M$ more money.  HTML
in email is just taking it one step further, and while I can understand
the reasoning I don't agree with it.  Making the computer accessible to
the masses means sacraficing the knowledge that could be gained from
understanding the environment.  Now the point I'm getting at here is
that HTML is the language specification designated for the www so that
people across multiple platforms can share information.  I never send
anyone email in HTML because I want to be sure that whoever is receiving
my email will be able to read it irregardless of what application they
choose to view their mail with.

-- Bob