Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:05:26 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound documentation for the snd_hda (Nvidia)

Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org> (from Mon, 26 Nov 2007 =20
12:23:38 -0500):

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org> (from Sun, 25 Nov 2007  =20
>> 14:59:01 -0500):
>>
>>> Where do the developers of the HDA code hang out, on this list?  Is the
>>> snd_hda the current hda driver, and if so, where's the new code going
>>> to be?
>>
>> The current HDA driver is in -current. RELENG_7 is on par (AFAIK).  =20
>> RELENG_6 is "close", but you are better of with RELENG_7 or HEAD.  =20
>> Yes this is the right list, and the only developer working on the  =20
>> HDA front and our sound infrastructure I'm aware of is Ariff (sorry =20
>>  to the 2 others which work on the envy and creative drivers, but  =20
>> for this discussion you don't count ;-) ). He seems to be short of  =20
>> time ATM. You could try to catch him on #freebsd-azalia on freenode.
>>
>> I'm not aware of a major rewrite in the HDA part. Ariff seems to be =20
>>  working on something else: http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/
>
> I was operating under the assumption that those comments from hdac.c,
> about the snd_hda driver badly needing a complete rewrite because it
> was insufficiently, well, bussed?  Yeah, bussed meant that code rework
> was ongoing.
>
> If you even know what that comment about the busses being less than
> they might be means, IF you could point me at any driver that you
> personally think shows a more *ideal* setup, it would at least make me
> aware of what's really wanted.  You don't need to describe it yourself,
> I know that'd be a major bore to do that for me, and I could probably
> learn as well by just reading code that illustrates what things
> *should* be.

AFAIK, the non-ideal part of the driver is not related to our =20
soundsystem. I was told the HDA architecture allows more than just the =20
normal sound output you get with, e.g. AC97 based soundcards. So I =20
think the idea is to split up the driver specific part a little bit =20
more, so that you can add more things later. So the parts you need to =20
read are the HDA specs and get an idea what can be improved there. =20
Graphically it's like this ATM:

|   FreeBSD kernel                       |
|                   +--------------+     |
|                   | sound subsys |     |
+-------------------+------+-------+-----+

                    +-------+--------+
                    |   HDA code     |
                    +----------------+

And I think the goal is to get something like:
|   FreeBSD kernel                       |
|                   +--------------+     |
|                   | sound subsys |     |
+-------------------+------+-------+-----+

                   +--------+--------+
                   |HDA bus/framework|
                 sound   ...     something_else