Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:47:44 +0800
From:      David May <David_May@allsolutions.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: [Q] Problem compiling C++ shared library. Undefined symbol    ___unwind_function.]

--------------491AE7B88D6D9F1A077DAD49

From: David May <David_May@allsolutions.com.au>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: [Q] Problem compiling C++ shared library. Undefined symbol
 ___unwind_function.
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:19:12 +0800

I installed the Tclodbc 1.4 package by compiling from source
on a FreeBSD 2.2.8 system.  When compiled using the original
Makefile, a compiler warning was displayed saying that the
the option -fhandle-exceptions was needed and the compile
failed. The C++ source uses the "try" feature which I guessed
had something to do with this warning about exception handling.
I recompiled with this additional compiler option and was then
able to complete the build and installation of shared library
libTclodbc14.so without further errors.

Now when I attempt to load the shared library as a Tcl package
it fails as in this example:

tcl>package require Tclodbc
Error: couldn't load file "/usr/local/lib/libTclodbc14.so":
 Undefined symbol
"___unwind_function" in tcl:/usr/local/lib/libTclodbc14.so

My first guess was that a library had been omitted from the
link stage but I was unable to find any reference to name
"unwind_function" in any of the program source nor in any
system shared libraries.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to compile this correctly
with GNU C++?

Thanks in advance.