Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:16:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luke Bakken <luke_bakken@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation spontaneous reboot

Hi all,

While trying to install FreeBSD 3.3 on my machine here
at work from a CD, it spontaneously reboots during the
phase when packages are being copied to the hard
drive. After several tries, I've had little success.
It always reboots during this phase, sometimes right
at the beginning of the file copying, sometimes a
little ways into it.

Machine setup:
ASUS P3B-F, 400MHz PII, 96MB RAM, NE2000 PCI Ethernet,
SoundBlaster PCI128, Fujitsu HD, CDROM (not sure of
kind, but is ATAPI), ATI Rage Pro video card.

I have no IRQ or memory conflicts, my machine is not
overclocked, and every other OS on it works fine (DOS
and WinNT). On another identical machine as this I
have installed DOS, NT, Linux and BeOS with success.

After reading newsgroup and mailing-list archives, I
suspect it has something to do with the CD, but I'm
not sure. Also, during the kernel boot, it detects the
hard drive with the wrong geometry: 19857/16/63, when
in the BIOS it is 1245/255/63. I don't know how to get
the kernel to correctly detect the drive.

I installed FBSD on my machine at home from the CD,
which worked fine.

Any idea?
Thanks,
Luke Bakken