Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 08:35:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet Exploder inseparable from Windows?

On Wed, 13 May 1998 at 18:06:31 +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> Brett Glass wrote:
>>
>> It's for Solaris only, which indicates that Microsoft wants to invade
>> Sun's turf.
>
> they're talking about an HP version as well... Linux gets a mention on
> their web page about the developers though (something about 'operating
> system of choice', I think those were the words!)
>
> in places they manage to make it sound like porting to a different unix
> is as difficult as writing a unix version in the first place...

It's probably more difficult.  A while back I saw a description of how
to use pipes with NT.  What was a line or two in UNIX became the best
part of a page of LongFunctionNames and hundreds of parameters.
Posting to UNIX must imply a complete rewrite of the parts which
interface with the kernel (or even the C library).

Greg