Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:26:59 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is anybody actually able to netboot at the moment?

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Peter Wemm writes:
>  > Hmm.  can you be more specific?  Is your client box connected to the hub
>  > and then routing via the freebsd router?  The reason I ask is that freebsd
>  > may be more forgiving about packet construction.  I suspect the switch is
>  > detecting something wrong with the packets that libstand is generating and
>  > killing them before they make it out to the fabric.
>
> I think libstand is detecting bad checksums & dropping the packets
> your server is sending.  The most logical explanation I can see is
> that its summing extra memory & the extra memory its summing up is 0
> for Bernd and non-zero for you...  Eg, 8 months ago I saw the same netboot
> binary work fine for one machine (UP1000) and fail to load a kernel on
> another (AS500).   Turning off checksums allowed the kernel to load..

I have found a bug in the prom_get() routine in srmnet.c.. its handling
of the packet lengths is very very broken.  It seems to return the full
size of the data area rather than the actual packet length.  This was
upsetting a few things.  I will definately tinker with the checksum code
and settings now.

Cheers,
-Peter