Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2019 20:41:46 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox, X11 fonts and 2gis

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 23:57:30 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> dmn wrote:
> > [...]
> > I'm using firefox-70.0_3,1 on 11.3-STABLE installed from ports,
> > and it displays the map on that web site correctly. webfonts package is
> > not installed.
> >
> > When dealing with firefox problems, it's always suggested to run it
> > with the --ProfileManager command line option, create a new profile and
> > test under that new profile (without touching any configuration).
>
> I've already tried with a clean Firefox profile, does not make any
> difference.

Verified here - text of webpage and window decoration is present,
but missing on the map.

> > In your case I would also consider creating  new user account
> > (pw useradd) just to debug this issue.
> >

> That is actually useful advice, its result surprised me. I created a
> test user with the default login class, ran startx from that user and
> you know what! I saw all the text on the map!
>
> OK, I logout, assign the test user to the "russian" login class, login,
> startx, firefox - and here is the map without text again.
>
> So the problem is somehow linked to locale, but running something
> like "env -i LANG=C DISPLAY=:1 firefox" from my regular user does not fix the map.
>
> Any more useful advice?

Interesting - my locale settings are (obviously) entirely
different. In a "Pokemon manner" (catch them all), because
you never really know which program cares about a specific
setting, I have those:

	setenv  LANGUAGE        de
	setenv  LC_ALL          de_DE.UTF-8
	setenv  LANG            de_DE.UTF-8
	setenv  LC_ALL          de_DE.UTF-8
	setenv  LC_MESSAGES     de_DE.UTF-8
	setenv  LC_COLLATE      de_DE.UTF-8
	setenv  LC_CTYPE        de_DE.UTF-8
	setenv  LC_MONETARY     de_DE.UTF-8
	setenv  LC_NUMERIC      de_DE.UTF-8
	setenv  LANG            de_DE.UTF-8
	setenv  MM_CHARSET      de_DE.UTF-8

This is done in ~/.cshrc for the user.

I don't have a specific login class, those are set locally
for the user. The ~/.login_conf additionally is:

	me:\
	        :charset=UTF-8:\
	        :lang=de_DE.UTF-8:

It duplicates things from the environmental variable section
of the C shell initialization, but this is a historically grown
conglomerate of settings that all bear the label "should work"
in one or the other context. ;-)

Additionally, setting $LANG, even though it has precedence over
$LC_*, might not be honored by Firefox accordingly. There are
other environmental variables that could have an effect (see
list above). However, it's not clear just from their names
which could be the one.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany